Monday, July 5, 2010

Dear Sigourney Weaver...

I'm back from the grand adventure that was the tour of the West Coast - check out my adventures at aha!  Next up on my list is to teach music to 4 to 8 year olds for the next six weeks at 4th Presbyterian Church's Summer Meals Program.  It should be a blast!

I'll be commuting to 4th five days a week for Summer Meals, and then attending on Sunday.  It's an hour commute on the T.  For six weeks.

(2 hours a day) x (6 days a week) x (6 weeks) = 72 hours of transit time = 72 hours of listening time.

I've started listening to This American Life and a few other podcasts, but with such a wealth of time on my hands, I would really like to listen to an audio version of the Bible and hear the whole thing through.  I found a few awesome versions on iTunes - James Earl Jones Reads the New Testament; Johnny Cash Reads the New Testament, and some others.  However, my liberated/ing reformed/ing feminist self would really like to hear a spoken version of the Bible that is NOT freakishly similar to the voice of patriarchy... or Darth Vader.  

Ideally, I want a version of the Bible with a plurality of voices interrupting each other, representing J, E, P, and D.  I want the Hebrew Bible read in the Hebrew order, not the Greek order.  I want to hear men and women's voices.  Or even just a woman's voice.  Sigourney Weaver did an awesome job narrating the Planet Earth series... I think she could do an excellent job narrating the Bible, too.  I'm just sayin'.  

If anybody has found something close to what I'm looking for, give me a heads up!

2 comments:

Robert and Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert and Laura said...

Dear Katie,
I laughed out loud when I read your blog entry about Darth Vader reading the Bible. I told Robert and he quickly responded in his best Darth Vader voice, "Matthew, Mark, and Luke."

Robert said that Charlton Heston recorded the Bible. You might be able to find it at the Library on CD.
I went to Amazon.com and entered "audio Bible Billy Graham", and this came up. Women reading the New Testament.
http://www.amazon.com/Word-Becomes-Flesh-Audio-Testament/dp/0718009967/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279204691&sr=1-1

I also Googled and found this article: http://www.newsweek-interactive.com/2007/08/05/downloading-heaven.html

Let me know which version you go with.
Laura Murray :-)
PS, deleted the first posting. Saw a misspelling.