Friday, July 3, 2009

Women in Ministry

How others perceive women in ministry has been heckling me severely these past few weeks.  

I hate that people can point to passages in the Bible and say, "See right here? No women preachers.  The Bible says so."  This argument presupposes that 1) I haven't read the Bible and/or am incapable of interpreting the Bible, and 2) any witness, works, or revelation from God I have must be false, all because of my reproductive anatomy.

I can get really riled up about this pretty easily.

What's even more frustrating is that arguing against this point of view and explaining my own point of view can't be reduced to a few Bible verses - I have to look at each book as a whole, and in its own historical context.  One Bible verse, quoted to me out of context on its own, is no longer sufficient for me.

Furthermore, I could chalk this disagreement up to conservative Biblical interpretation and fundamentalism in Appalachia, but I'm not willing to flippantly write off the conservatives and fundamentalists that I have come to love and respect in my work here. 

I therefore find myself in a vulnerable place:  I am doing the work that I know God called me to do, but I keep running into people (men and women) who would like to "enlighten" me, and all I have to say is, "Well, God told me to.  Who are you to say otherwise?"

However, a friend (and heroine) of mine pointed me to an episode of Designing Women, which I think does enough explaining for me.  It's the episode titled "How Great Thou Art," from Season 2 (Episode 20).  The youtube clip isn't great quality, but it's passable.  Watch here:


And then continued:

2 comments:

Cheryl Schatz said...

Bravo! Keep on serving God with the gifts He has given you.

Here is a clip from youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9TL5TWdac from a 4 DVD set that deals with all the hard passage of scripture that seem to limit women. The focus needs to be on the context, the inspired words and the inspired grammar and the picture changes dramatically.

Robert and Laura said...

That is one of my favorite episodes. I always cry when Julia hits the high note.

You have grown up to be an inspiration for others. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We are so proud of you. Keep doing great work.
We love you.
Laura Murray :-)